Ripley Ville was the old Borough of Bradford’s only industrial model village. It was built in the Victorian period, between 1866 and 1881, in south Bradford.
The village’s main sponsor was Henry William Ripley (1813-1881), dyemaster and controversial local politician.
He was from a third generation of Ripleys who were partners in Bowling Dyeworks. Henry was involved in innovations in the dyeing of mixed worsted during the late 1830s and helped the dyeworks grow to be the largest of its kind.